Sunday, February 11, 2007

oscar thoughts

So I finally got a chance to see Dreamgirls a couple of weeks ago. I'm still surprised that Jennifer Hudson is up for an academy for SUPPORTING actress. The movie seemed to be all about her character. So if she really was just "supporting" the lead actress, then she definitely took over the screen! And it's probably the reason why she's being handed all of these awards. I'm still skeptical about whether or not this will lead to other acting roles. I'm still of the mind that this is a one-shot wonder role. Still, she's deserving.

On another note,the recognition I saw The Queen just shortly after it came out... before any expectations were created. I wanted to see this movie because it was hard to imagine that anyone could portray accurately the Queen of England. The result would either smear the Queen's reputation, or have the actress fall flat on her face trying. The Queen is like an untouchable on the silver screen.

But I was pleasantly surprised to see that Helen Mirren pulled it off, allowing us not only to see the Queen as a person, but humanized her in way that still allowed the movie to end with her full dignity intact. It was a feat that deserves the minimum of of an Oscar nomination.

No comments: